Wednesday, October 24, 2007


Today is one of my most painful days in life. My dearest, closest best friend passed away. Her name, Peggie (my dog). I remember the time when she first came home to me. I did not take a liking to her immediately as I didn’t want to have another dog besides Sniffer in my life. She was quite weak and very thin. Out of the 4 legs she had, one of them (the front right leg) was shorter than the rest. But looking at the innocence on her face and the want to be loved just a little bit earned her a soft spot in my heart. After that day my love for her grew bigger and stronger. Peggie taught me so much. How to love unconditionally and how to make people smile without the use of words. Without the gift of speech she spoke aloud with her actions. She was always energetic, except when the little lady wanted her space to get her ZZZzzz’s, but I was always welcomed to be with her at anytime. She came into my life when she was but a mere pup who fit easily into both my palms and who put herself to sleep by rolling up into a small fur ball. Over the years she grew into a fine pooch and shared alotta similar traits with me. We both hated kids and we both are afraid of fire-crackers. She was so close to me that she was jealous everytime I was with my ex’s. My ex’s and I could never be close to each other in the house, simply because Peggie would be spying on the two of us. We actually had to keep a reasonable amount of distance between us when we were around Peggie.

I remember the all the times Peggie welcomed me when I came home. Be it a tiresome day after work or after a long vacation, every welcome from her made me feel better and revived my spirit. Today 24th October 2007, for the first time I wished I could have done the same for her. I wished I could get her back and tell her how much I love her and Thank her for all the wonderful memories she gave me. I miss her so much right now. I came home and saw her lying on a bed spread motionless. I got down on my knees and the tears didn’t stop while the heartache grew without a moments pause. From the time I got the news that she passed away till that moment I could step into the house, I couldn’t believe it. But then looking at her like that made it a reality – she had passed away. All I could do then is pull whatever was still remaining of my shattered self, together and do what needed to be done. With a heavy heart I wrapped my dog’s body in a white towel and took her to be cremated at Parle hospital. This was the last trip I’d make with her and I kept her in my arms all the time – weeping for my loss. As I walking up to the cremation building my heart grew heavier and the pain became stronger. I didn’t feel like taking another step, not only because each step hurt and made me bleed inside, but each step added to the distance between Peggie and me. Each step made took us closer towards the building and farther from each other. I kept her on the table and spoke to her for the last time which lasted only 5 minutes. I hugged her so hard that I didn’t want let go. You are my dog and I don’t think it’s time for you to go – at least not yet Peggie – is all that I kept saying to her in my head. At the end of it all I had to play the hardest part of letting her go as I placed her onto the cremation trolly. Doing that broke me completely! As her body was rolled in and the door shut itself a part of me died inside. I lost my dog today – I lost my friend today – I lost a part of my heart – I lost my loved one – I lost my dear Peggie doggie.

My dearest Peggie - I will love you and cherish our moments together. Yes you will be deeply missed and I only wish I had one more chance to tell you how much you mean to me and the joy you brought into my life. Thank you Peggie. May your soul be at peace. I LOVE YOU MY DEAREST DOGGIE!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry my dear friend. My deepest condolences to you.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that. I know how it feels to loose a friend. May her soul rest in peace and may god give you the strength to overcome this difficult phase.